Module 8: Hyperdocs

I love using hyerdocs in my classroom.  A hyperdoc is a lesson that is packaged and presented to a student all in one spot.  There is a focus on strong components of pedagogy and shared in an engaging way for students.  Many of the hyperdoc templates follow these basic steps- engage, explore, explain, apply, share, and reflect.

Where Hyperdocs Fit In

You can use hyperdocs in so many ways.  They are perfect for self-paced instruction as well as a blend of  whole class and individual lessons.  I have used them for projects, skills, writing workshop, research, and book clubs, to name a few examples. Because they are packaged with google docs or slides, in my case, I can modify and change any student’s hyperdoc as I see fit to really personalize the experience.  For example, in a writing unit, I will leave spots blank on the hyperdoc/playlist for revision assignments/ resources to individualize based on student need and what the writers would like to work on. Seemless differentiation at its best!  Using hyperdocs also allows students to move at their own pace – for the entire process or segments.  This relieves some of the pressures of treating 26 students as 1. I can adjust the hyperdoc experience based on the needs of my students.

Intro to Fairy Tales and The Brothers Grimm

The hyperdoc example I have provided is for a Stories and Film class that I teach. This class is basically a genre class where we explore all kinds of stories– reading, analyzing, watching, and even writing our own.  I start the class by getting students to consider the power of storytelling in our lives.  What better place to start than by talking about a very common first exposure to stories– fairy tales.

I will take you step by step through the hyperdoc, but you can also see the entire slide presentation here.

Engage:

For the first step, I have the kids heading to the site GoFormative to reflect on their favorite story growing up.  I have also included a drawing response here for them to tap into their memories and draw a picture.  By using GoFormative, I can then project their responses anonymously and start our journey together by discussing our choices and connecting as we walk down memory lane.  I have also included a list of popular stories to help them pick.

Explore:

One of my favorite sections of hyperdocs is the explore section.  For many, giving students the chance to freely explore a topic before you “officially” teach about it is a brand new idea.  I love how it activates prior knowledge and lets teachers see what aspects kids are drawn to and interested in right away.

I chose to use a multimedia text set for our exploration here.  As you can see, I’ve included websites, articles, videos, games, and creative writing.  I would let the kids choose the order to work in and have them record 5 things they have learned or questions they have on their hyperdoc.  When our time for exploration is up, we can all discuss as a class or in groups.  Letting kids choose is a great way to capitalize on interest.

Explain

For the explain section, I use EdPuzzle and an article to give an introduction to the Grimm Brothers and Fairy Tales.  I would also attach everything in Google Classroom so all resources are together.  For our purposes, I have included the link to the notes sheet in the hyperdoc.

Apply

For the apply section, I will have students choose a fairy tale of their own and analyze and compare with the Disney version they are familiar with.  I would let the kids collaborate if they like.  By giving them choice of texts options and process, I find that engagement increases. I can also differentiate by narrowing down the choices if needed for individual students.

Share and Reflect

Once the analysis is complete I would use padlet to have kids share their findings.  It’s also a great time to talk about creative choices and the differences as a class.  I also love the reflection aspect of a hyperdoc and think it’s generally a piece of the process we skip.  Giving students the chance to reflect on the impact of stories will help lead our discussion throughout the year. I chose to use Flipgrid for this step.

Create and Extend

For this unit, in the extension category, I also added a create section.  Now that we have explored fairy tales I wanted students/groups to get the chance to write their own story or even just an outline of a story depending on how long the students had left in our process.  I left the format of the story up to them by offering a choice of digital tools.  I would also let them choose if they had another preference or even a paper preference.  This flexibility is one of my favorite parts of using a hyperdoc. I always like to have student create based on a concept we learn rather than just consume information.

The final extension is just a variety of fun fairy tale videos 🙂 Including Brave– a text we would also later explore.